Cancer Patient Navigator
Pacific Cancer Foundation - Wailuku, HI
The Patient Navigator works in a dynamic health care environment within one or more departments providing one-on-one assistance to patients, navigating them through the health care system to ensure timely screening, diagnosis, treatment and/or post-treatment cancer care and supportive services. S/he works with other health care professionals to establish and maintain a climate of mutual respect, dignity, diversity, ethical integrity and trust and participates in multi-disciplinary teams to provide patient care that is safe, timely, efficient, effective and equitable. S/he uses knowledge of one's role and the roles of other health care professionals to appropriately assess and address the needs of patients served to optimize health and wellness. S/he is expected to set learning and improvement goals; identify and perform learning activities that address one's gaps in knowledge, skills, attitudes and abilities; and respond to feedback to improve professional performance and patient care.
- Assist patients in accessing cancer care and navigating health care systems.
- Assess barriers to care and engage patients and families in creating potential solutions to financial, practical and social challenges.
- Identify appropriate and credible resources responsive to patient needs (practical, social, physical, emotional, spiritual), taking into consideration reading level, health literacy, culture, language and amount of information desired. Refer to licensed clinicians for physical concerns, emotional needs or clinical education.
- Educate patients and caregivers on the multi-disciplinary nature of cancer treatment, the roles of team members and what to expect from the health care system. Provide patients and caregivers evidence-based information and refer to clinical staff to answer questions about clinical information, treatment choices and potential outcomes.
- Encourage patients to communicate their preferences and priorities for treatment to their health care team; facilitate shared decision making in the patient's health care.
- Encourage patients to participate in their wellness by providing self-management and health promotion resources and referrals.
- Follow up with patients to support adherence to agreed-upon treatment plan through continued non-clinical barrier assessment and referrals to supportive resources in collaboration with the clinical team.
- Contribute to patient navigation program development, implementation and evaluation.
- Assess patient capacity to self-advocate; Help patients optimize time with their doctors and treatment team (e.g. prioritize questions, clarify information with treatment team).
- Encourage active communication between patients/families and health care providers to optimize patient outcomes.
- Performs special project assignments required to support the implementation and evaluation of patient navigation.
- Assists with care coordination of patients.
- Enhances professional knowledge/skills by identifying and participating in continuing education opportunities.
- Performs other non-clinical work related duties as requested.
Previous Experience Preferred: 1 year
Required license or certification:
Patient Navigator Training, Community Health Worker, Social Worker
QUESTIONS FOR APPLICANT
How many years of Previous Experience Preferred experience do you have?
Have you completed the following level of education: Associate?
Do you have the following license or certification: Patient Navigator Training, Community Health Worker, Social Worker?
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume to Nancy La Joy at email@example.com